His Excellency Paul Biya was born on 13 February 1933 at Mvoméka’a, Meyomessala Subdivision, Dja-et-Lobo Division, South Province. President Paul Biya is the second President of the State of Cameroon. He assumed office on 6 November 1982 following the resignation of President Ahmadou Ahidjo. President Paul Biya is married and has three children.
Born on the 13th February 1933 at Mvomeka'a (Meyomessala) of the late Etienne Mvondo Assam and Mrs MVONDO (born Anastasie Eyenga Elle).
1. - Education
1948: First School Leaving Certificat (CEPE) (Nden);
1948/1950: St. Tharcissius Pre-seminary, Edea;
1950/1954: Akono Minor Seminary;
June 1953: BEPC
1954/1956: Lycee General Leclerc
June 1955: Baccalaureat lere partie
June 1956: Baccalaureat 2e partie Lycee Louis le Grand (Paris).
Degree in Public Law, Diploma of the Institut d'Etudes Politioues, Diploma from the Institut des Hautes Etudes d'Outre-Mer.
Diplôme d'Etudes Superieurs in Public law.
2. - Professional Career
• Charge de mission (assistant) in the Presidency of the Republic: October 1962;
• Director of Cabinet, Ministry of National education: January 1964;
• Permanent Secretary, Ministry of National Education, July 1965;
• Director of Civil Cabinet (Chief of Staff), Presidency of the Republic, December 1967;
• Secretary General and Director of Civil Cabinet: January 1968;
• Minister of State, Secretary General in the Presidency of the Republic June 1970;
• Prime Minister; 30th June 1975;
• As Constitutional successor, he becomes President of the Republic after the resignation of Ahmadou Ahidjo on the 6th November 1982; this according to the constitutional amendment instituted by law n° 79/02 of 29th June 1979. On taking the oath of office, he undertook to democratise political life, to bring about social and economic liberalisation, to introduce rigour in management and moralise attitudes, and to reinforce international co-operation.
• Elected President of the Cameroon National Union (CNU): 14 September 1983.
• Elected President of the Republic on 14th January 1984, reelected on the 24th April, 1988, llth October 1992 (First election with direct universal suffrage with many candidates) : 12th October 1997 and llth October 2004.
• Elected President of the CPDM, Cameroon Peoples Democratic Party after the CNU was transformed to the CPDM; 24th March 1985 in Bamenda.
• When on the 19th December 1990, Mr Paul BIYA promulgated the law on associations and Political parties. He was in effect restoring multiparty politics in Cameroon (since September 1966, when Cameroon was under the one party system). As of today, over two hundred parties have been legalised. The CPDM obtained an absolute majority during the March 1997 legislative elections and its candidate won the Presidential election of October, 1997.
The President however chose to form a government that included other political parties. Three parties are represented in government; the CPDM, the NUDP and the UPC. 5 parties are present in the National Assembly: The CPDM, NUDP. SDF, UPC and CDU.
His Excellency Paul Biya married Mrs Chantal BIYA on 23rd April, 1994.
He is a father of three children: FRANK Biya, Paul BIYA Junior and Anastasia Brenda BIYA EYENGA.
3.- Honorary Distinctions
Mr BIYA is a holder of many decorations and honorary distinctions:
• Grand Master of the National Orders (Republic of Cameroon);
• Grand-Croix of the Legion of Honour (Republic of France);
• Great Commander of the Medal of St-George (United Kingdom and North Irland);
• Grand-Croix de classe exceptionnelle (Federal Republic of Germany);
• Grand Collier de I'Ordre du Ouissam Mohammadi (Kingdon of Marocco);
• Great Commander of the Order of Niger (Federal Republic of Nigeria);
• Grand-Croix de I'Ordre National du Mérite (Republic of Senegal);
• Commander of the National Ordre (Republic of Tunisia);
• Doctoris Honoris Causa (University of Maryland, USA);
• Professor emeritus (University of Beijing, Republic of China).
4. - Publications
Mr BIYA is the author of a political essay entitled "Communal Liberalism".
This work has been translated into English, German and Hebrew.
In it the Head of State announces the advent of multiparty politics (which became effective in 1990) after the temporary period of the one party State. He explains his choice for economic liberalism and private initiative while at the same time advocating national solidarity, equitable distribution of the benefits of economic growth, social justice, the development based on inventiveness and peaceful co-existence of various cultures and peoples who make up the nation.
Finally, he reaffirms the need for modernisation of the State and the desire to maintain close cooperation ties with other countries of the world.